Hamming On Research
This fabulous talk by mathematician Richard Hamming reminds us to do good research, ask the right questions, and to work hard and effectively. The talk, from 1986, holds 10 takeaway points that are still valid today across disciplines:
- Drop your modesty; admit that you want to do first-class work
- Prepare your mind.
- Age is important.
- Brains are not enough; you also need courage
- Make the best of your working conditions
- Work hard and effectively
- Believe and doubt your hypothesis at the same time.
- Work on important problems in your field.
- Be committed to your problem.
- Work with your door open.